. . . where the 1970s live forever!
Friday November 30, 1979
Welcome to Ultimate70s.com, the most thorough site on the internet dedicated to those great years of the 1970s! Remember what it was like to live through that era — or learn more about it — by checking out the events from any of the 3,652 days of the decade. No other website has this much information about the 1970s in one easy-to-use place!

Pick a date from the dropdown above or click the Random link to select a random day, then choose a topic (News, Sports, Television, etc.) and see what was happening on that date — and please tell us what you think.


This Day In 1970's History: Friday November 30, 1979
  • Washington expects the Shah to leave the United States, a State Department announcement made clear. Following Mexico's refusal to allow the Shah to return there, the administration was involved in intensive efforts to find another refuge for him. The Shah was "quite distressed" over Mexico's refusal to allow him to return, a spokesman said. He still intended, according to the spokesman, to leave the United States, hoping that his departure would "end the tragic situation in Iran."

    The Shah is welcome in Egypt, President Anwar Sadat emphasized in talking to reporters. He said that he had instructed the Egyptian Ambassador in Washington to renew the standing offer with the Shah and the Carter administration. [New York Times]

  • Iran will not be represented when the Security Council of the United Nations meets to consider the case of the American hostages in Teheran, the new Foreign Minister, Sadegh Ghotbzadeh, announced. The only basis for negotiations over the hostages, he said, is the return of the Shah to Iran. The charge d'affaires of the captured American Embassy, Bruce Laingen, and two other embassy officials, who have been in the Iranian Foreign Ministry since the embassy was seized Nov. 4, are not in any sense hostages, Mr. Ghotbzadeh said at a news conference. He said they were free to go at any time, but the only problem was "providing security from the Foreign Ministry to the airport." [New York Times]
  • President Carter canceled a trip through six states that he was to begin next week to officially start his re-election campaign. He will instead concentrate on the Iranian situation. Meanwhile, his campaign committee, which has been trying unsuccessfully to buy 30 minutes of prime time on television networks for Mr. Carter's official announcement Tuesday that he will run again, purchased a five-minute spot on Tuesday night from CBS. The networks have sued to overturn a ruling by the Federal Communications Commission that they must sell the campaign a half hour of prime time. [New York Times]
  • An executive order curbing paperwork was signed by President Carter, who is concerned that new environmental and energy laws might place too heavy a burden on Americans, who, the administration calculates, took 913 million hours last year to fill out 4,900 kinds of government reporting forms. [New York Times]
  • Zeppo Marx died in Palm Springs Calif. He was 78 years old and the only surviving member of the four Marx Brothers comedy team. [New York Times]
Click here for more news from this date....


  Copyright © 2014-2025. All Rights Reserved.   •   Privacy Policy   •   Contact Us